I) Undergraduate appointment types:
- Peer Tutor - official classification is Undergraduate Admin Assistant
- Work Learn Assistant- various sub categories, which are determined by the Work Learn Office at the time the application from the PI is approved
- Undergraduate Assistant
- Undergrad Research Assistant
- Undergrad Admin Assistant
II) Hiring eligibility requirements and maximum hours of work per week:
For undergraduate students: To be eligible for a student appointment, a student must be currently enrolled in a Canadian institution and maintain a minimum of 18 credits in the winter session (September – April) and a minimum of 9 credits in the summer session (May – August). If the student does not meet these requirements, then they must be hired as a staff member instead. The PI is responsible for confirming the minimum credits as outlined above.
Note: A student is no longer considered a student after his/her convocation date. However, as a practice, students have been allowed to continue working until the end of the term. For example, if Fred’s convocation is in November, Fred can continue his student appointment until the end of December.
The minimum daily working hours is no less than 2 hours up to maximum of 8 hours per day. UBC recommends that the maximum working hours per week for undergraduate students is 10-12 hours per week in Winter/Spring Terms and a max of 40 hours per week in Summer Term
III) Documentation requirements for procession the appointments:
To determine which forms are required in order to process the student appointment please refer the graph below.
Please note, the additional requirement for all Work Learn positions irrespective of the employment history wih UBC and the Zoology department is the Funding Offer Letter from the Work Learn Office, which will include the position number, hourly rate and the maximum hours per period.
IV) Biology hiring procedure
- PI is to determine based on this guide, the required hiring forms obtain them from the student and submit them together with his approval signature (on the student appointment form) to Tammy Tromba at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Blank forms are attached to this e-mail. The electronic forms are available from the Zoology’s website and upon request from Tammy. The forms need to be submitted in a PDF format in order to be in compliance with the payroll requirements.
- We require 3-5 business days to process the appointments. The appointments MUST be processed before the hire date. Work Learn appointments have a FIRM-hiring deadline to qualify for the funding subsidies; we will be notifying you of those deadlines.
- Once the appointment is processed we will e-mail to the student and cc the PI the procedure on submitting the timesheets for hours worked. The person looking after the time sheets for Biology Undergraduate appointments is from the Botany department. Please contact them for more info.