There are two primary mail services for general campus use: student.ubc.ca (student email, addresses end in @student.ubc.ca) and mail.ubc.ca (FASMail - Faculty and Staff email, addresses end in @mail.ubc.ca or @zoology.ubc.ca or @ubc.ca).
For various aspects of UBC business, you’re required to have a UBC email address, whether it’s an @student.ubc.ca, @mail.ubc.ca, @ubc.ca, or @zoology.ubc.ca address . Some specific services depend on a particular mail account, so you may only end up needing one of these mail accounts, or you may end up needing both.
UBC's Student Email Service
- @student.ubc.ca email address
- every student is entitled to an @student.ubc.ca account
- students retain these accounts for life
- does not support email aliases (eg: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- required for student access to Office 365, OneDrive and Teams
- accessed at https://webmail.student.ubc.ca/
- (log in using CWLid.stu as user name, and CWL password).
- more information here: https://it.ubc.ca/services/email-voice-internet/ubc-student-email-service
- setup documents for some clients can be found at the bottom of the page, under Support.
- self subscribe at https://www.myaccount.ubc.ca/
UBC Faculty and Staff email service.
- @mail.ubc.ca address
- only available to active university employees and graduate students
- accounts/mailboxes are removed after an employee leaves or a student graduates
- graduating students can retain their mailbox for a grace period of one year
- supports aliases such as @zoology.ubc.ca and @ubc.ca
- if you want to receive and send mail with an @zoology.ubc.ca address, this account is required
- required (along with a email@example.com alias) for Faculty/Staff access to OneDrive/Teams
- accessed here: https://mail.ubc.ca/
- log in with your CWL credentials
- More information can be found here: https://it.ubc.ca/services/email-voice-internet/ubc-faculty-staff-email-fasmail
- suited to the use of shared mailboxes and calendars with UBC faculty and staff in Outlook
- request a FASMail account from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please provide your CWL ID, your role at the Department of Zoology, and your preferred email address ( eg: email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Webmail: https://mail.ubc.ca
- Mail client setup: https://it.ubc.ca/services/email-voice-internet/ubc-faculty-staff-email-fasmail/fasmail-setup-documents
- Webmail: https://webmail.student.ubc.ca/
- Mail client setup: https://it.ubc.ca/services/email-voice-internet/ubc-student-email-service